Thursday, June 9, 2011

Sex?



What parent doesn’t want the best of the best for their children? How do we strike balance between helping them achieve their goals while not imposing our own goals upon them? Expectations are normal and healthy; demands are not.







Today I am thinking about my teenaged daughter’s sexual health.







This has been on my mind for a long time but in the last few weeks, since she told me about her “new big brother,” I have been trying to find a way to talk to her about boys and what their intentions and expectations may or may not be.







This boy she met over Memorial Day Weekend while visiting a friend is 17 years old and had just



graduated from high school. Meadow is 14 and starting high school in the fall. This boy has already had at least one 14 year old girlfriend although I don’t know how intimate they were. Apparently he is moving away soon to go to college, which is a bit of a relief for me because I see this friendship progressing rapidly and I worry that it could grow into more than brotherly affection. I’ve been very forthcoming with my concerns while trying to remain calm and rational. Although it’s been difficult, I feel that I have done a good job of being open to listening.







I am painfully aware that Meadow is quickly approaching the age where she won’t be able to resist the primal urge of her loins, and she will either pursue a sexual relationship or will give into pressure from a boy that she likes. I know this is normal and we all go through it but I want to try and make sure she is prepared to do it safely, and on her terms. I was unable to take charge of my own adolescent sexuality and my adult relationships have suffered as a result.







I refuse to take the stance of abstinence. I think it’s cruel and unrealistic and I will not demand it of my children. Instead, I want to make it easy for them to obtain information and birth control.







I contacted Planned Parenthood today to ask for advice and information on how to introduce my



daughter to their services. They were incredibly warm and easy to talk to. The woman I spoke with confirmed that their services are confidential and if Meadow were to go to them for any reason, she would be helped without having to call her parents. The lady also suggested that I allow Meadow the responsibility to set the initial appointment.







Of course, I would like to be involved in Meadow’s sexual health—my field of knowledge is reproductive health, pregnancy, and childbirth—but I know that it can be uncomfortable to talk to your own parents about sex. So I will give her the reins to her own sexuality and not impose my own expectations and beliefs. She's a very smart young woman. She knows how to make good choices. I trust her.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers